Mr. Daniel Kwaku Afriyie holds a Bachelor of Arts (B.A) Degree from the University of Ghana, Legon which he obtained in 1966,majoring in Geography, History and Sociology. He became an Associate of the Chartered Insurance Institute of London(by Examination) in 1979 in which he specialized in Marine Insurance as well as a certificate of participation from an International Seminar in Insurance and Reinsurance from the city, University Business School, London in 1990. Mr. Afriyie became a Chartered Insurance Practitioner in 1995,and in that same year,he was awarded a Fellow of the West African Insurance Institute (WAII) in the Gambia. Mr. Afriyie is a fellow of the Insurance Institute of Ghana of which he became a member of its Governing Council from 1992 to 1999. He was appointed a correspondent of Willis Global Retail Network in Ghana from January, 2001 to June, 2008.
In July 2010, WAII conferred on him a professorship in recognition of his outstanding contribution to the development of insurance in Africa and specifically the unreserved support for the promotion of Insurance education in West Africa and especially WAII.
He was appointed a visiting lecturer in Marine and Aviation Insurance at the West African Insurance Institute (formerly in Monorovia, Liberia and presently located in Banjul, The Gambia) from 1979 to 2001and was the examiner in Marine/Aviation Insurance up to year 2001. He was elected to become a member of the Academic Board of the Institute and chairman of its Final Examination Assessment and Evaluation Committee until July, 2012
Mr. Afriyie started his insurance career with the then State Insurance Corporation of Ghana from 1966 to 1995. During his sojourn with the company he attained the highest position as Deputy Managing Director (Technical Operations). He had hitherto occupied the positions of Deputing Managing Director (Administration) from January, 1987 to July, 1988; acting Financial Controller from December 1984 to February 1987; and headed the Marine and Aviation Claims Department from 1970 till 1986
Mr. Afriyie has served on a number of Committees that have brought tremendous improvement in the insurance industry. Notable among them are:
- Chairman of Accident Technical Committee, and Chairman of Fire Technical Committee, Chairman of Marine/Aviation Claims Technical Committee of State Insurance Corporation.
- Chairman of the motor claims settlement committee at State Insurance Company of Ghana
- Chairman of the Council of Bureaux of ECOWAS (Economic Community of West African States) Brown card Insurance Scheme.
- As Chairman of the technical committee of the Ghana Insurers Association, he played a leading role on the reviewing of motor insurance premium rates in Ghana which came into effect in August, 1994.
- From 1992 to 1995, he was appointed a member of the Executive committee of the West African Insurance company association (WAICA) and in that same period became a member of the Technical Committee of the West African Insurance Company Association .
Mr. Afriyie has served on the following institutions as a Board member:
●Accra City Hotel Limited ( Novotel Accra) -June 1987 to June 1995
● Elimina Motel as a representation of SIC of Ghana- August 1983 to March 1993
● Chairman of Ghana Healthcare Company- 2003 to 2006
● Ghana Insurance College- October 2006 to October 2012
● Academic Board of the Ghana Insurance College- January 2007 to December 2012